The main set of rules for underwater rugby is compiled by the CMAS UWR commission.
A set of UWR rules in a nutshell can be found as follows
- It’s against the rules to hold an opponent’s mask.
- One can’t pull an opponent’s fins
- Elbowing is forbidden
- One can’t interfere with an opponent’s snorkel
- Strangling is not permitted at any time
- One can’t pull an opponent’s swimming suit
- Each team has 12 players but only 6 are allowed in the water at the same time
- In formal events, there are two referees in the water at all time (they use Scuba equipment) and a deck referee